Indian-Style Scrambled Tofu and Asparagus
This recipe was written by Priya Krishna, a journalist at the New York Times. Krishna and I are both Indian-Texans, which compelled me to buy her book. Krishna wrote this book for her mom (both pictured to the right, with her book on the side), so I decided to make this for my mom, too. Tofu isn’t eaten much in India, so the recipe is not authentic. But the flavor is Indian-style, and it’s delicious!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 250g chopped Asparagus
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Chili pepper, chopped
- 400g crumbled Tofu
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoon Masala (if available)
- In medium heat, warm the oil. When the oil becomes warm, add cumin. When the cumin is brown, stop the heat.
- Add turmeric, then add asparagus, salt, and chili pepper.
- Cover the pot, and for ~6 minutes cook it on low heat.
- Add crumbled tofu and mix. Uncover the pot, and cook on medium heat for ~3 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add lemon juice, salt, and masala.
Krishna, Priya. “Tofu Green Bean Breakfast Scramble.” Recipe. Indian(-ish). New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019. 75. Print.
Indian-Style Scrambled Tofu and Asparagus Recipe